It’s been 2 1/2 weeks since we started demolition at #themodhouseproject.
My muscles ache, my body is tired and my feet hurt. . .YET. . . there’s something so gratifying about seeing the process come together. We’ve committed most nights and weekends to our new home and we’re getting that much closer to turning this construction site into something presentable!
Here’s a quick update of just a few things we’ve been up to:
We’ve got Treads+Risers for the Curving Staircase!
As you recall, I was unsure how to tackle this staircase. Hiring someone was just out of the budget and going DIY on something we’ve never done before was not the best option. So I found a happy middle ground.
I came across a great stair company that was willing to provide me with the stair pieces we needed. They came out and measured every step so they could create custom oak treads caps and risers for us.
That only leaves us with staining and install which should be a piece of cake (hopefully!).
WTF!? We have different height variations in our subfloor?
Once we took out the tile and carpet, we noticed we had a little issue on the main floor.
The tiled areas of the house (hallway & kitchen) seemed to sit on a thicker subfloor than our carpeted areas (family/living/dinning room). We had to address this problem before laying the hardwood to maintain a levelled floor, free of all creaks.
To fix it, we added an extra layer of plywood subfloor on the ‘once carpeted’ areas to prop it up to the appropriate height.
(And yes, you see correctly. My vacuum is out in the middle of reno. I can’t stand dust)
Hooray for Hardwood!
Two and half skids of hardwood were delivered to this home. I watched while nearly 100 boxes were carried inside. To avoid any flooring nightmare, we waited for our hardwood to acclimate properly before we began laying (very, very important!).
Over this past weekend, we were able to start and completely finish our kitchen and family room areas.
Big Joe even created this tent outside for the mitre saw to protect us from our Canadian winter.
But then another issue arise.
The mitre saw died on us after one day of use. We weren’t happy campers at this point but we had it coming. The mitre saw was pretty old and went through our two previous renovations with us.
Mike and I made a late night run to Home Depot. We purchased this 10″ Ryobi Mitre Saw.
Obviously the boys are excited for a new toy. I’m thrilled we were able to stay on schedule!
We’ve got light!
The holes for the pot lights were made. We placed them in our kitchen and family room. In the former set up, the family room had no light fixture so you could only imagine all the difference it makes at night to light up the room.
We also started with a little painting. A nice new coat of ceiling paint from PARA Paints is starting to set the mood. Love a paint that goes on streak free!
So as you can see #themodhouseproject is coming along. We still have a million and one things ahead of us and a tight deadline! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Twitter for updates along the way.